Also known as the Persian Mosque, Sky Blue Mosque or Gok Jami, the Blue Mosque was built in the 18th century. The modest mosque, which lacks elements that would enable to describe it as luxurious, is reported to be built by local governor Husayn Ali Khan during the period of Iranian ruler Nadir Shah. The construction of the mosque started in 1760 and was completed between 1764 to1768.
The Blue Mosque, which is nicknamed so because of the dominating blue color on the entrance and the tiles, covers over 70,000 square feet of prime land. The Blue Mosque has an inner courtyard, meeting halls and a theological school (madrasa).
Reconstructed in the late 1990s it is now the only functioning mosque in the city. Decorated with exterior tiles, it has a modest interior, graceful tiled dome, small minaret, and shady garden with fountains and flowerbeds.