Bombers disguised as civilians detained leaving Eastern Ghouta
Syrian forces have detained a number of bombers disguised as civilians among the people leaving Eastern Ghouta through humanitarian corridors.
Publish date : Saturday 31 March 2018 12:29
A Syrian military source, speaking on condition of anonymity, told Syria’s official news agency SANA on Friday that army forces have rounded up 36 terrorists since the evacuation of civilians started from the enclave in mid-March.
The source added that there were six women among the detainees, four of whom had been wearing explosive vests while the two others were hiding bombs in their luggage.
A child was also caught laced with five kilograms of explosives.
SANA also reported that a total of 7,003 people, including 1,234 militants, evacuated from Eastern Ghouta area late on Thursday.
The latest evacuation took place in the towns of Arbin, Jobar, Zamalka and Ein Tarma. All of the towns were largely controlled by the Faylaq al-Rahman militants, who agreed last week to negotiate their withdrawal under a deal with the Syrian military.
Faylaq al-Rahman militants have demanded to be allowed to leave the central areas in Eastern Ghouta after members of the Ahrar al-Sham militant outfit did the same earlier this month in the town of Harasta.
Syrian government forces and their allies have captured 90 percent of Eastern Ghouta since a massive assault there late last month.
Eastern Ghouta, a besieged area on the outskirts of Damascus which is home to some 400,000 people, has witnessed deadly violence over the past few months, with foreign-sponsored terrorists launching mortar attacks on the Syrian capital in the face of an imminent humiliating defeat. The Syrian army has already controlled over 80 percent of the militant-controlled territory.
Syria has been gripped by foreign-backed militancy since March 2011. The Syrian government says the Israeli regime and its Western and regional allies are aiding Takfiri terrorist groups that are wreaking havoc in the country.